[pmwiki-users] Cookbook Ratings : Vote for the recipes you use

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Mon Jan 18 10:34:28 CST 2010

On 1/18/2010 9:25 AM, Petko Yotov wrote:
> I'm replying to my own arguments. :-)
>
> On Monday 18 January 2010 14:18:19, Petko Yotov wrote :
>> There are a number of benefits for not having the user/rating lists in
>>   extra pages.
>> * Maintainers wouldn't have to add *-Ratings pages to their watchlists. :-)
>> * It is easer to look at the lists of names, instead of going to another
>>   page. As people outlined before, more important than the numeric sum of
>>   the ratings is who are the people supporting / endorsing the program.
>
> The *-Rating listings could be included in the main page, so they will be
> visible.
I like this idea. It makes the ratings obvious to the reader.

>> * It is easier for a visitor to edit the same page, than to go to another
>>   one. I believe the effort/confusion for a visitor going to a different
>>   page for longer comments, and to another one for a rating, and finding
>>   their way back to the recipe, is _more_ than the effort from a PmWiki
>>   expert to monitor his pages (that is even one page less to monitor per
>>   recipe).
>
> There could be a direct link to *-Rating?action=edit as Peter suggested, this
> should work. Upon saving the page, there could be a header with links back to
> the recipe and to the comments.
I prefer to retain user comments and ratings in a single place. That way
readers can see and thus edit everything they need in one place. So
perhaps a section of the Talk page, with ratings. That way we can
include the section *-Talk#ratings in the main page.

> Moreover, it will be easier for users to edit a page with just user listings,
> than a page with the full documentation finding a section with the ratings.
>
> Last, the users who install our recipes are actually wiki administrators, so
> this should not be ectremely hard and copnfusing for them.
Hmm, whilst this is true, I think we need to be realistic in
understanding there are different levels of 'administrator'.

I also agree with Hans. I prefer to move user edits out of the main
cookbook page. In general I tend to maintain a separate version of the
cookbook page outside of PmWiki which contains notes for the in dev
version. I prefer not to have to consider needing to merge a cookbook
page edited by users with my in dev version. Of course this process is
likely to be different across cookbook authors.

  ~ ~ Dave