[pmwiki-users] Simplest possible section editing

Chris Cox ccox at endlessnow.com
Fri Jul 30 00:13:03 CDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 23:44 -0500, Randy Brown wrote:
> Existing section-editing recipes don't do quite what I want. For example, Fox forms doesn't yet handle concurrent edits, while neither Fox nor SectionEdit handles "sections" such as title directives.
>
> I know how to indicate the section to edit via an http request. I think I can figure out how to identify the section on the page by using well-defined strings. But I don't have a clue how to interact with PmWiki forms.
>
> I envision using PmWiki's existing form mechanisms, but hiding the text that comes before and after the desired section on a page. On save or preview, I'd re-insert the hidden text. In my vision, I wouldn't have to worry about things like Replace on Save logic, because the page's text would be reassembled by the time it gets that far.
>
> Is the approach I envision possible? What function(s) would I need to modify, and can that be done without patching the core or breaking something in PmWiki? Would I need to use javascript (which I don't know), or can this be done entirely in PHP (which I'm starting know a little)?

Just my opinion, but IF section editing is important and whole page
editing with sections is NOT too important, then you could do something
simple like use (:include pagename:) in the overall page and have edit
tags there (possibly based on being authorized).  Just an idea.

Sometimes we try to force a VERY HARD feature (one that would require a
radical architecture change) instead of just rethinking the problem.