[pmwiki-users] '!' in pagelists [Re: Indexing categories and links (suspended)]

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun Mar 7 06:18:50 CST 2010

On Sunday 07 March 2010 12:36:03, Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote :
> The possibility to use '!' as a negation character is a new feature.
> It was added in 2.2.7 (2009-11-08).

It is not exactly a new feature, it was for as long as I remember in the
documentation. When we had to deal with it to fix PHP 5.3 problems, we found
out it didn't work as intended. It might have worked before.

And this happens in the function GlobToPCRE() which may be used by functions
and recipes other than pagelists for matching other things than lists of
Group.Page.

> I think it should be removed, and the hyphen should stay as the only
> negation character, as having two 'intuitive' negation characters is
> counterintuitive. And, quite possibly, category markup was designed as
> [[!Name]], because the exclamation mark wasn't used elsewhere at the time.

This is a good candidate for a PITS entry -- feel free to create a new one.

Thanks!
Petko