[pmwiki-users] RFC: Indexing categories and links (suspended)

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sun Mar 7 07:23:07 CST 2010

Sunday, March 7, 2010, 8:44:24 AM, Simon wrote:

> The markup [[!SomeCategory]] is a tag, it categorises a page. It is a definition or declaration.
> The  markup [[Category/SomeCategory] is a reference to page (that
> lists pages on which a particular tag occurs)

> When listing pages that are tagged (using the [[!]] markup) it is
> wrong to include in the list of tagged pages the additional pages
> that reference the category or list.

To me [[!SomeCategory]] is foremost a link,
a special type of link, but still a link.
If tags were implemented in Pmwiki there would be some kind of tag
markup, which will not necessarily display as a link.
Tags would be more like the title directive, and stored as separate
page attributes.

If PmWiki wants a tag system, then that should be discussed,
but such discussion is beyond what is proposed on that PITS page
about distinguishing [[!Page]] and [[Category.Page]] in backlinks.

For me a tagging system would not only use markup which could be
invisible, but also could use multiple tag groups, and has a
mechanism in the standard edit form to add and change tags.
The latter might brake PmWiki's simplicity rule.

  ~Hans