[pmwiki-users] RFC: Indexing categories and links (suspended)

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 04:28:32 CST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 20:42, Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net> wrote:
> Dominique Faure wrote:
>
> [...tags vs. links...]
>
>>IMHO (and on a rather technical point of view), we already have almost
>>all the bells and wistles we could need to handle such kind of data
>>(page text variable, page attributes,...). The problerm here is more a
>>need to know how to use the available features in a no non-sense
>>way...
>>...and document it!
>
> as far as I know, the issue is speed: Backlinks are searched much
> faster than page text variables.

Speed isn't the most important point there: backlinks are searched
faster than page text variables because they're specifically handled
through the .pageindex file. If a consesus is found on a way to
express category ownership without using category links, I'm sure the
feature would be managed using the same speed considerations.

--
Dominique