[pmwiki-users] What attachment operations do you want or need?

Karl Schilke schilkek at onid.orst.edu
Tue May 4 12:32:42 CDT 2010

> From: Eemeli Aro <eemeli at gmail.com>
> To: Pmwiki-users <pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com>
> Subject: [pmwiki-users] What attachment operations do you want or
> 	need?

[ snip ]

> But there's more to come, and I'd like to hear what you want or need
> to do with PmWiki attachments that isn't possible yet, or is too
> difficult with current recipes.

I think Attachtable is really great as it is, but there are a few
tweaks and features that I think would greatly improve it.

I second the "smart" attachment uploads (case-insensitive, automatic
removal of spaces/punctuation, etc.) already discussed on the list.

I'd really like to have the unresolved attachments listed at the top
of the page, rather than the bottom. I usually write the text of a
complete page, including the Attach: tags, and then go through and
upload all the files at one sitting. For large numbers of attachments,
it's a little tedious to scroll the bottom each time (I know, wish you
had my problems, huh? ;^)

I have the attachment version support enabled (it just saved my skin
the other day). However, I often accumulate a dozen or so deleted
versions of each attachment. For instance, figure image files often
change many times during the writing and polishing of a scientific
manuscript. It would be nice to have a mechanism to go back later and
permanently delete all those "intermediate files" in one swell foop,
without having to log into the back-end host to run /bin/rm, or to
delete them one-by-one.

Finally, it would be a big help if there was a way to move or copy the
attachments from one Group.Page to another (individually or
wholesale). Currently, the best way I've found is to download the
attachments, re-upload them to the new location, and then delete the
old attachments. Again, not conceptually difficult, but tedious and
irritating for a large number of attachments (plus an exciting
opportunity to really mess things up).

On that note, how about an option to download all attachments as a
.zip file? If the current version of the page itself (either as Wiki
markup, or better yet, HTML) were included as well, this would make a
nice way to backup or transfer a single page.

Anyway, thanks again for the great recipe. I look forward to seeing
the improved version!

     -Karl Schilke, Oregon State University

--
"If I was just half the man that he is... well, I'd probably fall over."