[pmwiki-users] A robust user registration module

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu May 20 07:54:59 CDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> I am looking for a robust user registration module,
>
> Any ideas if this can be put together as an add-on for PmWiki?
> Has it been done?

I think AuthUserSignup is the only existing thing that works with
AuthUser in its "normal" configuration (i.e., using a page to hold
usernames and passwords).  It is not sufficient for thousands of
users, I don't beleieve (although I don't have any solid reasons to
say that).  AuthUserSignup seems to be pretty solid and is in use on
several sites, but I would be hesitant to recommend it for a site that
was going to be seeing that much activity.  (Can authuser itself
handle thousands of users without performance concerns?)

HtpasswdForm is an alternative using .htpasswd files which, as I
understand, AuthUser handles.

AuthUserDbase goes a different direction, holding user/pass in a database.

UserAuth allows registration capability, but built on a totally
different security/authorization foundation.

To my knowledge that's an overview of the existing recipes -- are
there others out there?

-Peter