[pmwiki-users] PmWiki vs Drupal

pmwiki at 911networks.com pmwiki at 911networks.com
Sun May 23 13:25:48 CDT 2010

On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:59:46 +0200
Francesco Sblendorio <sblendorio at gmail.com> wrote:

>I never used drupal, joomla or any other CMS but PmWiki.
>Some one can tell what are the main differences and
>advantages/disadvantages with respect to PmWiki?
>
>I installed PmWiki and started using it with a very little training.
>Tried installing drupal but I had some difficulties starting.

Pmwiki is a wiki (Duh!). Drupal is a CMS with blogs, forums and much
more with all the different modules...

Drupal
* Is built on taxonomy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomy].
* Many more customizations available
* Scalable to hundreds of thousand of pages, million of pages
* Many more themes available, including premium/paid themes
* Built-in blogs, forums, books...
* Proper authentication system with access controls by role...
* Much larger community
* Search that works
* Nicer & sexier than Pm
* Far more business opportunities. Large organizations and
  governments are using Drupal for their websites.

Pmwiki
* For the editor, the writer, Pm is easier to use, instead of having
  to deal with html...
* Very flexible
* Easier to install
* Lower resources required for server
* Anything that Drupal can do can also be done in Pm, but many of
  these are built-in in Drupal

I use Pm for 3 sites. I'm in the process of converting my bigger site
to Drupal. That's a lot of work.

--
Thanks
http://www.911networks.com