[pmwiki-users] A robust user registration module

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Tue May 25 18:08:39 CDT 2010

On 5/25/2010 3:59 AM, Eemeli Aro wrote:
>> The only general functions needed are to find a line in a wiki page,
>> and write to a page. (I guess both these already exist as pmwiki
>> functions?)
>
> One of the most useful things you can do with a verified e-mail
> address that's linked to a user account is to use it to reset a
> password. With the above method, where is the email address kept? If
> you immediately forget the e-mail address, why do you verify it in the
> first place?
I don't totally agree with this. A password reset could be approached
using the same mechanism that was used for an initial register.

You verify the email address mainly to prevent spam sign-ups. Personally
I'd also vote for using the email address as the username. That was we
don't have to validate for uniqueness. However, this would mean we
couldn't create profile pages based on 'username', since I don't think
the patterns for valid email addresses is the same as for valid pagenames.

> Requiring the user to enter their email address once before and then
> again after activation seems silly. What's the harm in keeping the
> info on the server if it makes a user's first experience with the site
> easier?
Having the option to store the email is the way to go. However, is it
possible that there might be some country specific regulatory issues
with storing emails? I don't know, just asking.

  ~ ~ Dave