[pmwiki-users] problem with the installation (related to the creation of .flock file by PmWiki)

Arash Ostadzadeh ostadzadeh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 09:50:50 CST 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2011 19:35:18, Arash Ostadzadeh wrote :
>> After extracting the PmWiki archive
>> to the "public_html" folder on the server, and creating the "wiki.d"
>> folder manually (PmWiki was not able to create it) and changing the
>> attributes to enable world write access, pmwiki.php nags with the
>> following message:
>>
>> PmWiki can't process your request
>> Cannot acquire lockfile
>> We are sorry for any inconvenience.
>
> Make sure you set the attributes of wiki.d "recursively". In my KDE file
> manager I  need to check "Apply changes to all subfolders and their contents";
> in a terminal, I need to enter something like:
>
>  chmod --recursive 777 wiki.d

Thanks for your reply Petko, I checked with "chmod -R 777 wiki.d"
still the same problem. Does it make any difference in case of the
initial creation of the directory when it is actually empty?

> P.S. I assume that you are not on a read-only filesystem, and it is not full
> but has some empty space. :-)

I am not an experienced user with Linux and this may look very naive,
but, could it be that on the web server a security rule is placed that
prevent any kind of write access to my public_html directory by the
user running the webserver (Apache)? Probably the php script is run by
the webserver (not quite sure but this is most probably the 'nobody'
user, right?! ) and despite my granted write access for everyone, that
particular user which runs the webserver can not write at all.

how can I check this?

Actually when I log in to any machine on our network I am able to
transfer files to my public_html via my own user and there is no
restriction, however, I am not sure if the pmwiki later can write to
my public_html via the webserver...  if this is the case, I can not
use PmWiki at all, right?!

Any solution that I can check this?

thanks in advance for your help.
-Arash