[pmwiki-users] Preformatted text problem

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 28 00:26:14 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 01:09:55AM +0200, tkcusr wrote:
> > I'm not even a professional programmer.
> > Never needed to use irony or agressiveness to do that.
>
> Tell me Carlos,
> does your post have any point other than some emotional eruption?
> did you spot the bug? did you fix it? what are you trying to say?
> why are you posting in private?

I believe that Carlos is trying to say that your posts exhibit
an aggressive style that is not in keeping with the culture
of cooperation and tolerance we normally expect in the PmWiki
community.  And I believe that both Richard and Carlos are saying
these things in private because it's often wiser to praise people
publically and critique them privately (a management style I happen
to agree strongly with).  Or perhaps they have other reasons
for responding privately.

I also believe that it's very bad form to take a private respose
and post it publicly without permission.  You can certainly tell
someone "don't send me private messages" without having to do
so publicly and meanly.

In my role as list manager, I'm asking that we bring the shouting
on this topic to an end on the public list.  If you want to
embark on personal criticism of people (who are just trying to
help), please do it privately or not at all.

----

In your original messages you said "I'd like to read the argument
that claims this is not a bug", and I provided you with exactly
that.  I'm sorry that you disagree strongly with PmWiki's design
choice here, but many others (who I highly respect) have made
similar choices, and PmWiki's handling of whitespace indentation
is a feature I take advantage of often.  It works for me and
for many others.

I agree that there's a bug in the code somewhere in that the
single-space line should definitely not start a _new_ definition
list.  I started to look for that bug, but after reading your
subsequent posts I decided it wasn't worth my time to reward
aggressiveness and criticism on the public lists.  I'll fix it
when I get around to it (or if others also post "yes, this is
a problem for me also", or if someone submits a patch).
Feel free to file the bug as a PITS issue so it doesn't
get forgotten.