[pmwiki-users] Pre-alpha rich text WYSIWTF editor

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Tue Mar 29 06:47:40 CDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:
> Our current 1-day implementation uses a modified WhizzyWig JavaScript editor.
> WhizzyWig is very small and fast (less than 35K including styles and images)
> compared to other editors like TinyMCE, CKEditor or Xinha.
> Headings, text styles and colors, links, images, lists, tables can be added.
> HTML is stored in the wiki page.

I wonder if this recipe could be combined with
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ConvertHTML...

I would see something like this:

?action=edit --> no change from current operation
?action=wysiwig -> run MarkupToHtml() over the source, put the result
in the WhizzyWig editor, when saved run ConvertHTML so as to save
markup in the page.

I'm guessing that there are just too many possibilities in HTML and so
you don't get an accurate round-trip conversion, but the possibilities
*seem* quite large.

I *strongly* support the development of WYSIWIG capability.  Of all
the pmwiki installations I have done exactly zero (0) are regularly
updated by anyone else.  People always email me and ask me to make the
change for them.  And always during my initial training (which
obviously fails) they ask how to get to a screen where they can edit
it "more in like Word"...  In other words, they are looking for
WYSIWIG.

-Peter