[pmwiki-users] Pre-alpha rich text WYSIWTF editor

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Wed Mar 30 10:16:46 CDT 2011

Petko Yotov wrote:

>> >It is exactly the opposite: there are just too many possibilities in wiki
>> >markup that produce HTML that can never be reverted back to its source
>> >wiki markup. For example dynamic PageLists, WikiTrails, PageVariables,
>> >Includes, picture galleries... :-)
>>
>> Wouldn't be a WYSI* editor handling PmWiki markup directly the
>> technically best solution?
>
>One could argue that wiki code is exactly "What You See Is What You Mean",
>only new users don't intuitively know what
>
>  %red newwin rel=nofollow%'''click [[{*$FullName}?action=edit|here]]'''%%
>
>means and cannot express themselves with it. :-) Even more true for those who
>don't speak English.
>
>I don't know what is the best solution -- what follows is just brainstorming.
>
>It is so hard to edit without a recent JavaScript-enabled browser, that I
>contemplate writing a JavaScript wiki2html2wiki parser that would read and

My question was meant "(why) do we need/want intermediate html (or
RTF) instead of processing PmWiki markup directly by the WYSIWYG
editor?".

I guess you want HTML to be able to use existing editors?

And converting to/from HTML is simpler than getting native PmWiki
support from a WYSIWIG editor?

Oliver