[pmwiki-users] Fw: Re: Follow-Up:Whither WYSIWYG? Contract/Contribution

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat May 14 14:36:19 CDT 2011

On Saturday 14 May 2011 14:30:30 Al Louis Ripskis wrote:
> Did my email slip through the cracks? Or is there some
> other reason why you haven't responded?

It is not easy to estimate this kind of work. Such a module can be done fairly
quickly (2-3 days) but without a good integration with PmWiki and with
potential security holes, as a couple of users expressed their concerns.

PmWiki has lots of features and different configurations. Such a module has to
work in many different environments, like different settings for passwords,
diffrent uploads directories, different servers, and different browsers.
Additional modules need to be written - file picker (with thumbnails?),
asynchronous uploader (upload a file while you edit a page), internal link
picker (autocomplete?). The most difficult decision is how to store and
differenciate the feature-limited RichText input from wiki-code which can have
unlimited features and local customizations.

Last but not least, it is not possible to write such a complex program at once
- there will certainly be bugs to be fixed as they are uncovered, features
added or changed, and the module has to be supported in the future.

> "What do you estimate it would take to do it, and how long would it
> take? What cost?"

Here is a Quote:

2 weeks of work for a working beta prototype, including:
* integration with PmWiki pages, passwords and upload directories
* modules file picker/uploader, link picker
* full documentation
* 1 year bugfixing/support on the Cookbook Talk page or in the PITS
* free software under the GNU GPL, MIT-style license or WTFPL/PD (the best
things in life are free)

The cost of this work is estimated to be 2100 euros. My company doesn't
collect VAT. A receipt or a number of receipts will be available.

Note that the features of the rich-text editor will be limited - not all
existing HTML tags or attributes can be available, and not all PmWiki markups
can have a rich-text "button". The rich-text editor will be in addition to the
normal wiki-text editor.

Thanks,
Petko