[pmwiki-users] Proposition for a new PmWiki Skin

Eric Forgeot eforgeot at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 03:12:22 CDT 2011

On 09/10/2011 05:12, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> Still, the menu text is too pale.

I've updated the theme, now the text menu is slightly less pale:
http://anamnese.online.fr/pmwiki-efo/index.php/PmWiki/PmWiki

> You should allow people to set their own text size; don't mess with
> the default size.
> Some people need very large font sizes, and others, small.
how that setting their own size? With a menu and some javascript?
Generally people can change the font size using some options in their
browser (ctrl + mousewheel being the quickest)
If they are really picky about this, they probably already have their
own css rule they can apply on every website (Firefox allows this)

The behavior for changing fonts can be different according to the
browser. For example Firefox will only resize fonts, while Opera will
resize background and images as well. I see now there is also an option
to change the images as well in Firefox.

Besides, I've heard there are also default font size differences among
browsers. Maybe it changed since then.

For webmaster, with em they just need to change the default font to
change the whole appareance. I've turned back to px for placing elements
around the banner, because it's easier to alter later.

> Which means one shouldn't customize the font size.

webmasters need to customize it

> The background picture is not good, because when someone changes
> the font size, it stays the same size, and the layout looks wierd.

fixed. Those elements are using px now, instead of em.
> Perhaps then it should be made more noticeable.

I've used a light blue-purple, which is more noticable.
> If you're going with some CSS3 effects, you could put a shadow on the
> header div, then you'd end up with something similar to what you get
> with your existing background image.

It tends to run very slow on some old browser or computers, for
resizable elements like a border.

Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote:

> there is no max-width on content, and text is not resizable (full
> page zoom kind of works, but text zoom doesn't

I've changed the max-width to 1000 px (it resizes with manual text
resize). 800 px is maybe too narrow.

Petko Yotov wrote:
> So, IE 6 had a total share of 0.05 * 0.17 = 0.0085 = 0.85%.
> Sounds good to me

ok, but the original theme wasn't working on any IE I tried (from 6 to 8)

Again, my proposal is only to show what I did, everyone can propose
something either based on it, or completely different.