[pmwiki-users] RFC: Link titles

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 30 04:58:30 CDT 2011

Petko Yotov (2011-10-30 03:38):
> Hello. I'd like to read your thoughts about an implementation of "tooltip
> titles" of internal links.
>
> The tooltip titles are small boxes appearing when the mouse cursor moves over
> a link or a picture and can give some additional information for the reader
> about the linked site, page, file or image.
>
> I would like to enable this syntax:
>
>    [[WikiPage"Tooltip title"]] displays WikiPage
>    [[WikiPage"Tooltip title"|link text]] displays link text
>    [[WikiPage"Tooltip title"|+]] displays the title of the page
>    [[WikiPage"Tooltip title"|#]] a number/reference
>
> 1. This would be consistent with the markup used for tooltip titles of
> embedded pictures which have been available for 6+ years:
>
>    http://site/picture.jpg"Tooltip title"
>    http://site/picture.jpg"Tooltip title" | caption text
>    Attach:picture.jpg"Tooltip title"
>
> 2. This would be consistent with the markup for external links, InterMap links
> and links to attachments:
>
>    [[http://pmwiki.org"Tooltip title"|link text]]
>    [[Wikipedia:Free_Software"Tooltip title"|link text]]
>    [[mailto:address at example.com"Tooltip title"|link text]]
>    [[Attach:file.zip"Tooltip title"|link text]]
>
>    Titles for external links were captured and processed in this format since
>    2006, but were not displayed in the default installation, although this was
>    documented and admins could enable it in config.php. Version 2.2.14,
>    released 20 months ago, started displaying the tooltip titles by default.
>
> 3. Also since 2006, PmWiki captures the "..." part in internal links like a
> tooltip title, but instead of using it for a tooltip title, it keeps it in the
> link text (not in the link target page, [[Page"Tooltip title"]] links to
> [[Page]]). Fixing this would require only a few minor changes.
>
> These are the reasons to adopt the [[WikiPage"Tooltip title"]] markup:
> consistency with other tooltip markups, easy to implement, unlikely to break
> existing wikis.
>

> There is a reason why not to implement it this way, notably PmWiki.RoadMap
> suggests the format [[Link|text|title]]. In a previous discussion,
> * 3 users+Pm preferred that format
> * 5 users preferred [[Link"Title"|text]] :
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/24697
>
> So I'd like to know what do you think about this feature. Note that
> implementing it will not break existing wikipages - internal link titles never
> worked - but it will allow future improvements of accessibility for those who
> need it.
>
> Petko
>
> Other links:
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/RoadMap
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/01172 Add "title" attr. to internal links
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00657 Add "title" attr. to external links

Hi, Petko,

I can't really see how this small and consequent change warrants such a
detailed write-up :)  Just go for it!

If quotes weren't already used for external links and images, I would be
in favour of [[Link|text|title]] (which feels like a logical extension to
current link markup). But since quotes are already used for this...

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos