[pmwiki-users] PmWiki default upload file formats

Eric Forgeot eforgeot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:44:03 CDT 2011

Hello,

on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Uploads I discovered when upload is
allowed, the default upload formats where:

'gif','jpg','jpeg','png','bmp','ico','wbmp',          # images

'mp3', 'au','wav',                                    # audio
'mpg','mpeg','wmf','mov','qt','avi',                  # video
'zip', 'gz','tgz','tar','rpm','hqx','7z'              # archives
'odt','ods','odp',                                    # OpenOffice.org
'doc','ppt','xls','exe','mdb',                        # MSOffice
'pdf','psd', 'ps','ai','eps',                         # Adobe
'htm','html','fla','swf',                             # web stuff
'txt','rtf','exe','tex','dvi',''                      # misc

I'd suggest updating this list: PmWiki should be open source friendly,
and therefore more open format should be added by default:

at least html5 formats such as ogg (ogg vorbis) for audio, ogv (ogg
theora video), webm, MP4 for video so those receipes would work out of
the box when an user wants to upload a video or an ogg file:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/HTML5Audio and
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/HTML5Video

In addition to psd, xcf (gimp native format) could be added.
In addition to ai, svg could be added.

I don't think bmp or wav should be kept, it's quite bad practice to use
them on the web. If it's for storage, flac (audio loseless compression
format) could be used instead of wav. For au, I don't know anyone still
using this. I don't know wmf (I thought it was for ms cliparts), I don't
think it's much used either.

There are also more OpenDocument formats:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
At least .odg should be added.

.epub might be added as well.