[pmwiki-users] It's time to change pmwiki default skin!

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Mon Sep 12 04:45:37 CDT 2011

One of the reasons I adopted pmwiki was its easy of use.
Its default skin is a very good starting point, which:
- allows to understand how the whole thing works (not bad as you are
starting over)
- is very useable (despite the narrow column fashion of today) and
blue/underlined links are still a good standard choice (old people are
still there, so are visually impaired people, and a lot of other
people want to just easily *use* the internet, not just keep on
guessing where links could be on a page)
- is easily customizable.

This does not mean there is no reason to enhance/renew it in some
details, but I still would consider the default skin a real
default/basic one.
Without too many features, which find instead their own right place in
the alternative skins, most of which are sound and interesting, like
Hans' Triad (which i really like) or DaveG skins (just naming some).
Such alternative skins could perhaps be more preeminently be shown off.

So, if we need to make impression to newcomers, maybe a splash screen
at the root page plus a better choice of fonts, colors and images
could probably do.
I wouldn't spoil/complicate the standard/default skin/approach.

I believe that simple is better, as a starting point.

Luigi