[pmwiki-users] It's time to change pmwiki default skin!

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Sep 22 15:14:25 CDT 2011

> A css reset is just a group of css declarations which aim to iron out
> browser rendering inconsistencies:
> http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/
>
> Once you do that, it's much easier to control elements and do things like
> work with a baseline grid, etc.

Thank you. If this approach was built into the default pmwiki skin, would
new users, who may not be html and css experts, perhaps see it as a
complication that unnecessarily raises the barrier to entry?

> None of this directly addresses the 'vspace' issue outlined below.
> However,
> the repetitive injection of the vspace class is an indicator (to me at
> least) that there might be more efficient ways to style the default html
> elements. If you flip the problem around, default html tags should be
> acceptable most of the time and you add classes only when you need to
> alter
> the default styling.

This adds weight to the suggestion that lessvspace should be added to the
elements that need it, rather than the current use of the vspace class.

--
John Rankin