[pmwiki-users] It's time to change pmwiki default skin!

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Thu Sep 22 16:21:35 CDT 2011

On Thursday 22 September 2011 18:07:43, Paul Giacherio wrote :
> there's a lot of great feedback here that I think
> is really valuable.

I strongly agree! Thank you all!

> Form my perspective, I'd like to see a default pmwiki skin that:
>
> 1] Is centered, and has a flexible width to a point - the left-aligned,
> full width current skin is difficult on big screens
> 2] Utilizes simple media queries to ensure the design is functional all the
> way down to mobile sizes
> 3] Includes a css reset and solid standard typographic style

I think this sums up the points on which we all agree.

> 4] Moves all [and i mean ALL] standard style declarations into the default
> css file - the current, occasional, header style injection can be maddening
> to a first-time customizer

I agree, but we should go there carefully. Moving these core styles to the
pmwiki.css file will make them unavailable for existing skins -- published to
the Cookbook or personal. But it is doable/fixable.

> 5] Is structurally table-less

Patrick has a pragmatic approach about skins (and about everything): the
default skin needs a number of features that work in most browsers and that
are simple enough for a newcomer to understand and customize:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/31185/

I think the goals outlined in that message still apply. Only the browsers have
greatly improved their CSS compatibility so this might be finaly achievable.

About 4]+5], the (:noleft:) feature in a table-less skin may require some CSS
injection, either inline in the html page, or via a <link/> to an additional
stylesheet (slightly slower as the browser will have to fetch another file).

Thanks,
Petko