[pmwiki-users] unable to retrieve edit form Site.EditForm

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Apr 6 08:12:34 CDT 2012

On Friday 06 April 2012 13:55:07 Clemens Gruber wrote:
> All pages are "normal" readable. But PmWiki.ReleaseNotes is not
> readable. As you supposed I get only an empty page.
>
> > What is the encoding (charset) of your wiki? Do you have in config.php a
> > line including scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php ?
>
> My character encoding is ISO-8859-1 (serverside) but there is a mismatch
> as I see right now: On some pages ther is set UTF-8 in the head:

This is not completely normal, you should either have this line in all pages,
or in no page.

> > If you add to config.php such a line, can you edit in 2.2.36 ?
> >
> >    $PageRecodeFunction = "IsEnabled";
>
> Yes, this fix the problem!
>
> > (This will disable the core functions used for converting the pages from
> > one encoding to another. If you can edit with that line, the problem is
> > likely there.
> Hmm, what does this mean "the problem is likely there"?

The problem likely happens somewhere in the recode function in PmWiki, not
with permissions of Site.EditForm.

To convert character encodings from the core pages to your local encoding,
PmWiki will use one of 4 PHP functions if they exist: iconv(),
mb_convert_encoding(), utf8_decode() or utf8_encode() in that order.

In 2.2.35, the utf8_decode() and utf8_encode() are before the other ones, but
they don't recover some special characters, so now, if iconv() or
mb_convert_encoding() exist, they are used instead.

>From what you tell me, I can assume one of these two is not working properly.

What is your server version, PHP version, and operating system version?

> I set up a fresh new PmWiki with version 2.2.36 on the same server and
> all worked find. So I think it is a problem with old existing PmWikis
> and updates. But I have no idea where to go on ...

It is important to know if your new installation is in ISO-8859-1 or in UTF-8,
and if you can see pages like ReleaseNotes. Is the problem the conversion from
UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1, or the other way? The Site.EditForm is normally in *-8
but if your wiki is in *-1, the page will be recoded. If your new wiki is in
*-8, no recoding is needed.

Petko

P.S. Once again I'm sorry for my late replies during the next week.