[pmwiki-users] SQLite pagelist recipe prerelease

Christopher Cox ccox at endlessnow.com
Sun Aug 26 14:58:24 CDT 2012

Can't say for sure.  But figure that PTVs (for example) are just (more
or less) name,value pairs.  So... an RDMS unless there are clear
benefits to be had using some kind of relationship joins across
tables... well... it's likely the wrong tool for the job in many cases.
Not saying that you might have been PTV bound here.... just saying...
PmWiki does come with a pagelist cache mechanism (which can help in some
cases).

So... at least for me, the concern would be more focused on users of
lots of PTVs and how that might impact performance if the number of
pages got really, really large.  In those cases, a name,value db might help.

If you believe that there are many strong row/columns style RDBMS
relations that somehow fit into the operation of PmWiki, then maybe a
RDBMS fits...  I'm thinking it's the wrong tool for the job at the
moment though.

You have to remember, things like sqlite are built on top of the same
(performance wise) file system as the (sort of) indexed flat files that
sit behind PmWiki.  It wouldn't surprise me if used for page fetches and
stores that sqlite is actually slower.

Just saying... (these are however, very, very cursory thoughts...
somebody else probably KNOWS better)