[pmwiki-users] FoxNotify: confirmation email?

Hans Bracker design at softflow.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 13:34:23 CST 2012

Hi Jon,

> One of my authors would like me to set up a Fox form so that when a visitor
> fills out the form, he or she is sent a confirmation message using an
> e-mail address entered in the form. This obviously presents various
> potential spam-related problems, but say if the form were in a
> password-protected area, is it possible for me to configure FoxNotify to do
> this?

I do not see how this can be done.
FoxNotify is based on PmWiki's Notify, really a version with
a few more possibilities.
Both use lists of email addresses on some notify list page,
or the address needs to be given in config.
So not wanting to break that, and not knowing how anyway,
the only way would be to have your form add the email address to
the notify page (the "target" of the foxmail markup) before
foxmail gets going (and it gets going last).
If it is any help, foxmail can accept more than one list page as
target, so you could add the confirmation address to a list page
based on the sender. That would generate lots of list pages, which
would need deleting sometime.
Otherwise you need to remove the address afterwards from the
FoxNotify  list, if you use one list page.
Altogether a rather awkward approach.
So, in short, there is no provision to take email addresses directly
from input. And as you noted, the reason is security and spam
protection.

Personally I find it much better to acknowledge a received
email manually. That way the sender knows you actually got his request
and you responded.

Best regards,
Hans
www.softflow.co.uk