[pmwiki-users] Wiki page fails to render when non-ASCII characters are included

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri May 18 11:36:49 CDT 2012

[Re-sending to the list --Petko]

On Thursday 17 May 2012 00:04:26 John Rector wrote:
> I copied a 4 year old PmWiki farm to a new machine. Pages that contain
> special characters (non-ASCII), like umlaut 'u', cause a page not to
> render on the new configuration, while they did on the original
> configuration. However, if the special characters are removed with a text
> editor, the page, which is in wiki.d, and has content, again renders.

Thanks for the detailed report of your installation, unfortunately I see no
obvious problem there.

There are some changes to the PageStore class since version 2.2.31: there is a
function that converts between different character encodings. I've recently
fixed a similar issue with blank pages.

However for your installation which had the default ISO-8859-1 encoding,
nothing have changed, the recoding function is not used.

Have you any problems with some other pages from the default installation, for
example blank pages in the PmWiki/ or Site/ groups? These pages come with the
UTF-8 encoding and are converted to yours on the fly.

If you add the following line to config.php, do you still have blank pages?

  $PageRecodeFunction = 'IsEnabled';

(This line will completely bypass the PageStore->recode function.)

Can you test some previous PmWiki versions 2.2.30 to 2.2.35 on the same server
and report?

Petko