[pmwiki-users] New WikiGroups on pmwiki.org [Was: Volunteering for a PITS issue]

shout at joshleepictures.com shout at joshleepictures.com
Sun Oct 7 12:33:42 CDT 2012

>> I'd like to have some arguments from the community why we should or
>> shouldn't have a dedicated Skins/ group.
> In favor of a separate Skins group. Possibly either Skins, or maybe PmSkins. In general Skins are different to Cookbooks. Skins affect UI, cookbooks provide functionality. I can see some lengthy arguments that skins also provide functionality, but across the web, we've settled on separate skins and some sort of cookbook/module terminology.

I do fully agree, but want to ask this question anyways… What about recipes that are somewhere in the middle? E. g. bundles of themes/skins and modules/plugins (skins and other cookbook recipes in current PmWiki terminology).

>> Thinking more globally, should we do something for the other languages,
>> especially, should we have a SkinsFr/ and a CookbookFr/ WikiGroups for
>> the French language pages (among 20 languages)?
> Not in favor of this. Why not handle languages with categories?

Because categories are for content groups (e. g. blog recipes, cms recipes, etc), whereas content is a modality (as the same page in other languages does not contain different content).

>> If so, should we have separate *-Talk and *-Users pages for the other
>> language versions? Or we could have a global Talk/ and Users/ wikigroups
>> automatically related to all CookbookBg/ and CookbookDe/ pages which are
>> just versions of the Cookbook/ page in English. (Moving existing *-Users
>> pages to a different group will be done automatically, not manually.)
> Also not in favor. Number of groups is just going to get exponentially large, and likely psychologically confusing to users... to what benefit, over categories?

What about comments in several languages? mix them on the *-Talk pages?