[pmwiki-users] New WikiGroups on pmwiki.org [Was: Volunteering for a PITS issue]

Hans Bracker design at softflow.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 06:07:30 CDT 2012

Saturday, October 6, 2012, 9:20:13 PM, Petko wrote:
> I'd like to have some arguments from the community why we should or
> shouldn't have a dedicated Skins/ group.

Since the introduction of categories and links to listing by category
in the cookbook group menu I did not find a problem having skins in the cookbook.
For general browsing in general lists like RecentChanges it did help to have skins identified in the page name by a 'Skin' suffix, like PmWikiSkin.
Not all skin pages have that, unfortunately. A dedicated page group for skin pages will eliminate that, obviously.

But moving skin recipes into their own group will likely break a number of links in external sites. I am using the Cookbook:.... alias on external sites, so any links to skin pages will need to be modified. We probably need a Skins:.... alias to create links to page sin the PmWiki.org Skins group easily. That would require a change in the distributed system, and it will not be backwards compatible. So broken external links won't be fixed automatically, and not easily, unless a system update will prepare for that.

Then there may be all kinds of internal links on Cookbook pages between skin page and other recipe pages. Perhaps they can be modified automatically, otherwise need manual page revisions.

So the organisational work may be more than one thinks, especially considering the impact on external sites. Is the benefit big enough to warrant this? I doubt it, since categories seem already to offer the best way to browse the cookbook.

Best regards,
Hans
www.softflow.co.uk