[pmwiki-users] Google Maps Upgrade

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat Nov 16 11:57:37 CST 2013

Daniel writes:
> I am using Petko's excellent GMap recipe in about 100+ pages on my website
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/GMap
>
> Soon Google will stop support the support of the V2 Api.
> Is GMap based on the V2 Api,

Yes.

> and if yes: can we expect a V3-Api fix for this recipe?

I have just learned that Google will turn down the v2 API on November 19.

I looked at it briefly and we use 4 classes in v2 that have no equivalent
in v3. This is unfortunate because I will not have the free time to review
the new API and rewrite the code in the next 2 days, before November 19.

They write that after the switch they will serve a special wrapped version
that may work with most simple applications. So it may still work. :-/

If the recipe needs to be disabled, instead of incorporating the map into
the page, the wiki will render links to the Google maps site. Clicking on
the link will open the same map centered and zoomed to the position you had
incorporated.

When disabling the recipe, insert this InterMap entry to your page
[[Site.InterMap]] :

  GMap:   http://maps.google.com/maps?$1

Petko

P.S. I strongly feel that instead of GoogleMaps my sites should use the free
open source and open content OpenStreetMap. Unfortunately I haven't yet
found the time to look into writing a recipe with the GMap features for
OSMap. See however this recipe:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/OpenLayersAPI