[pmwiki-users] preg_replace (RFC)

Hans Bracker design at softflow.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 17:01:15 CST 2014

Sunday, December 7, 2014, 9:47:43 PM, Petko wrote:
> Thanks to all who voiced their opinions - very much appreciated. I'll
> add a better debug reporting very shortly.

Great, thanks, much appreciated! I just spent the best part of the day
updating a number of sites in a farm setup for PHP 5.5 compatibility,
which  involved  checking and fixing about 60 recipe scripts and a few
skin  scripts.  Adding  the  code snippet for debug_backtrace() in the
Markup()  function  helped  a  lot,  but  I  still  had to do a lot of
text searching within code for offending regex  /e  modifiers,  using
a  regular expression search over multiple files. And still I had some
errors  involving  /e modifiers which were very hard to trace, without
hints  in  the error messages. Some came from use of regex  /e modifier
in scripts within a skin, and it needed good guesswork to trace those.
So  I  feel  for  any  admin  trying  to get a wiki site fully PHP 5.5
compatible, and is facing dozens of error and deprecation messages.
It  can  be  very hard and utterly frustrating, and the more help and
recipe updates the community can put into this, the better.

Best regards,
 Hans