[pmwiki-users] New User Greetings and a question

Christopher Cox ccox at endlessnow.com
Tue Dec 23 23:28:16 CST 2014

On 12/23/2014 02:09 PM, Kirk Siqveland wrote:
> Howdy all!
>
> I am a bit rusty on my HTML/CSS but getting a few projects going and I found
> PMWiki - what a delight!
>
> I am pre-launch and very much "under construction" on an ambitious website and
> PMWiki has made building the site much easier.
>
> In the meantime I welcome advice and suggestions.
> http://www.humeris.net/wiki/pmwiki.php
>
> Please do not link to this URL as it is just the construction site, I will have
> it at its proper address soon...
>
> I have however, been trying to figure out something I believe should work but I
> can't get it to work...
> I'm using Triad skin and trying to set a RightBar that is specific to a single
> page...
> I can get group-specific RightBars to work fine...
>
> this works fine >>>
> http://www.humeris.net/wiki/pmwiki.php/Inventions-Telegraph/RightBar?action=edit
> but
> This does not >>>
> http://www.humeris.net/wiki/pmwiki.php/Inventions-Telegraph/Telegraph/RightBar?action=edit

PmWiki fundamentals... you have Group/Page and that's it.

You can still simulate deep hierarchies using Categories though.... but url
wise, just the two things... Group/Page

I guess more specifically it's Group.Page and that is indeed how they are stored
by default on your server's disk.

Hope that helps.  So... don't think deep.... which is sort of a good thing as it
keeps the URLs from getting out of hand.

Some other potential hints....

Let's say you have Inventions-Telegraph as a group and Telegraph as a page... so

Inventions-Telegraph/Telegraph

You could include a RightBar based on page name...

(:include RightBar.{*$Name}:)

Or perhaps by group name...

(:include RightBar.{*$Group):)

Just some ideas that might give you some organizational ideas....

Now, if the above is confusing, you might want to ignore the default PmWiki
template setup (or examine and modify it)... that way you might get a better
feel for just how powerful and awesome a site can be with PmWiki.

Note, you could include the RightBar (above) inside the skin template, but maybe
you abstract things out further.... again, just play around with it.