[pmwiki-users] pmwiki to epub ebooks

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue Mar 11 06:03:16 CDT 2014

John Rankin wrote:

[...]

>How did you envisage a client-side solution would work? For example, the
>recipe could easily generate suitable html, which you could save for
>further local processing. I do this for testing the skin and css anyway.

exactly, the key is "suitable HTML". I made some experiments in this
direction in the past using a very simple skin. I don't remember the
details, but the result was not exactly beautiful.

>What for you are the advantages of a client-side solution?

Using "cheap" shared web hosting, you usually can't install software,
and calibre is not part of a standard environment.

Currently I use a web downloader starting from a page list and save
one HTML file per page. Good for the indexed full text search engine
on a desktop machine, but on a mobile device, epub is better.

Since internet access is better available now, the problem is less
important today (for me).

Oliver