[pmwiki-users] file:// links (was: UserAdmin, where does the main menu appear by default?)

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri May 8 13:18:13 CDT 2015

By default, browsers since MSIE 6.0 (released 2001) ignore links from
web/internet/intranet pages to documents on a local network/machine with
the file:// protocol. So, while it is possible to write such links, you
shouldn't count on users being able to download such files. This is not
a limitation of PmWiki, but a feature of web browsers.

On the server where PmWiki runs, if the processes of Apache and/or PHP
have access to the local network, you may be able to use the DirList
recipe to link to such files:

   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/DirList

If your PHP process doesn't have access to the local network, ask your
System Administrator to configure it.

Petko