[pmwiki-users] Disappearing backslashes?

Steve Glover steve.glover at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jan 26 10:17:51 CST 2016

Hi,

A colleague is trying to include an example command line in a page, thus:

[@
  openssl pkcs12 -export -in certificate.crt -inkey private.key
-certfile int.pem -out certificate.pkcs12
@]

Unfortunately, the command is too long to display without running off
the right-hand side of the allowable text area.

The traditional way to break such a line, and indicate to the reader
that the linebreak is not meant to be there is to finish the first line
with a backslash, thus:

[@
openssl pkcs12 -export -in certificate.crt -inkey private.key \
  -certfile int.pem -out certificate.pkcs12
@]

However, if you try this, not only does the backslash not render, but
returning to the edit window reveals it has actually disappeared from
the page text.

Doubling the backslash works, sort of, but the next time the page is
saved, it disappears again, leaving a single backslash in the text,
which then disappears on the next edit....

I suggested using \, but the [@ ... @] stops that from rendering.

I did manage to find a previous example in the mailing list

http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2007-April/041255.html

but the fixes there don't work. I'm guessing that part of PmWiki or PHP
has changed since then.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks

Steve

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.