[pmwiki-users] a table that is not a table

erik burggraaf burggraaferik at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:52:57 CDT 2016

Hi, I've just delved advanced table directives for the first time with I believe a high degree of success.  Two things about this struck me.

The first thing is that while my table apparently looks and acts like a table, my screen reader says it isn't actually a table.  I've checked in safari and chrome on my mac.  Neither one reports my table as a table.  using special navigation modes I can make it behave sort of like a table, but I can't jump directly to my table because it's not really official.

My phone doesn't see it as a table either.  I pulled the page up in chrome on my droid and I can feel on my touch screen that the objects are as I placed them.  I can even tell how much space there is between the smaller elements of the table as the right most column is considerably longer than the others.  The phone though, like the computer, won't allow me to navigate directly to the table, and it won't report cell co-ordinates.  Because of the usecase for this particular table, it's probably not a big deal, but I'm curious as to whether I may have missed something in my table directive.  The table views in the documentation showing the output of the sample code are all properly recognized by my screen reader as tables.

If you want to see the table, click here:
http://www.erik-burggraaf.com/bum/pmwiki.php?n=About.Resume <http://www.erik-burggraaf.com/bum/pmwiki.php?n=About.Resume>
This page is not ready for public consumption even without the /e errors.  I'm working on fixing the typos as we speak.

The second thing is in the documentation.  There are no representations that I could find of line feeds or hard returns.

For example:
(:table:) (:cellnr:) contents of 1A (:cell:) contents of cell 1B (:tabelend:)

Is not the same as:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) contents of cell 1A
(:cell:) contents of cell 1B
(:tableend:)

Without the lines the markup doesn't work, but from a screen reader blind point of view, there are no line feeds in the sample code.  It didn't kill me.  I bashed it around until it worked, but I'm wondering if the line feeds are represented somehow and I'm just missing them?

Thank you for indulging my curiosity.

Erik