[pmwiki-users] Responsive skin added to core, enabled on pmwiki.org

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sun May 7 16:52:20 CDT 2017

On 2017-05-05 13:51, Oliver Betz wrote:
>>> Do you consider a "switch to standard view" option to get the sidebar
>>> displayed permanently also on smaller devices? Other responsive
>>> designs
>>> do so.
>>
>> Not at the top of my priority list. There is a feature in mobile
>> browsers, at least in Firefox and Chrome: click on the "menu (3 dots)"
>> button, then select "Request desktop site" (or similar).
>
> indeed, thanks for the hint! I didn't expect this to work because also
> on my desktop PC, I got the mobile view with very narrow window.

Yes, resizing the window may switch the layout.

The skin is configured to use the "desktop" layout when the browser
window is at least 50em large (about 800 CSS reference pixels, 16.9°,
0,295 rad), otherwise the "mobile" layout.

This allows a large 5.5" HD smartphone 1920x1080px (and smaller ones) to
display the "mobile" layout BOTH in portrait and landscape orientation.

Before it used "mobile" layout in "portrait" orientation but "desktop"
layout in "landscape" orientation, but people requested that it didn't
change. Now [other] people told me they preferred the old way, to be
able on a mobile device to have both layouts depending on the
orientation. Understand that I can only select one option or the other:
in any case someone will be unhappy. Also this is only about the skin
shipped with the core: nothing prevents people to copy it under a new
name and change the threshold as they prefer.

If there is a better way to do it, I'm open to review it and use it.

Petko