[pmwiki-users] What is the best php version to use now ?

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Jan 24 23:39:35 PST 2020

The latest version of the PmWiki core works with PHP 5.1-7.4 -- I test
it in 7.4.2.

The "best PHP version to use now" depends on what recipes and skins you
have and can these be upgraded, replaced or removed.

For most people the best (for them and for the community) may be to use
the latest PHP stable version available at your hosting provider (7.2,
7.3 or 7.4), and update all your addons and/or somehow incite the recipe
authors or maintainers to update their code.

For PmWiki and addons/skin the major changes are:

* PHP 5.4 - htmlspecialhars() became too strict: unreliable
* PHP 5.5 - preg_replace() is deprecated with the /e flag
* PHP 7.2 - create_function() is deprecated, unquoted strings
* PHP 7.3 - continue inside switch issues warning
* PHP 7.4 - get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated; $string{0}

The core should have all these updated/fixed unless we haven't noticed
some and nobody reported them.

Petko