[pmwiki-devel] Planned next features? (was pmwiki-2.2.0-beta17 released)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 14 11:21:37 CST 2006

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/RoadMap .

> To not been mistaken, I don't want to put any more pressure on you ;)
> but I think it would be nice to provide us rough guidelines to avoid
> recipe writers becoming (too rapidly) wheels (re)inventors [1]...

In the case of (:input jumpbox:)... I didn't even realize that
it would be possible to so easily customize the (:input select ...:)
markup to provide jumpbox capabilities until Hans mentioned it earlier
this week.  So, it's not that I had planned to do it and simply didn't
tell anyone, it was an "Aha!" moment of "Oh!  The forms.php code
already allows us to create controls with custom javascript!".

For example, I'm just now realizing that the current forms.php
script ought to make it relatively easy for administrators and
recipe writers to create custom "(:input ...:)" controls that
perform client-side input validation in javascript.  (Yes, some
applications would still need to provide server-side input
validation as well, but many times client-side validation is
sufficient or a useful preliminary-check.)

> ...more precisely, I would really appreciate to know your feelings about
> trails.

I don't have trails in the RoadMap yet, but they're certainly going
to become more customizable than they currently are.  I'm still
working out syntax and configuration options.

It's likely that at some point (but probably not before 2.2.0)
PmWiki will support a way to navigate trails based on pagelists.

I don't know that the core will soon add the ability to create
a trail from a pagelist, as I'm a little concerned about the
performance ramifications of doing that, and I really don't
have a markup for it that I like.  The markup question is the
more important of the two at the moment -- with a good markup
I could envision this possibly being added to the core very quickly.