[pmwiki-devel] Markup rule evaluation sequence

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed May 21 21:19:08 CDT 2008

I have run into the same problem several times recently,
getting markup rules to evaluate in the desired order of
precedence, and am wondering if anyone has some words of
wisdom or advice.

In the latest case, I had rule1 set to evaluate '>links'
and rule2 set to evaluate '<block'. PmWiki evaluates
'block' '>links'. In my case, I needed rule2 to evaluate
after rule1, but it didn't and it took me several tries
to get the behaviour I wanted, as it involved a chain of
related rules.

One solution might be for PmWiki or a recipe to redefine
the standard PmWiki markup groups (and '>' settings) as:
- directives
- fenceDI
- inline
- fenceIL
- links
- fenceLB
- block
- fenceBS
- style

Then the example above should mean '>links' evaluates
before '<block', because 'fenceLB' is in between.

While it is always possible to solve these on a
case-by-case basis, I'm wondering if there is a
general solution or something obvious I'm missing.

Have others run into this kind of problem?
--
JR