[pmwiki-devel] Group Christian

V.Krishn vkrishn at insteps.net
Sat Aug 21 03:49:22 CDT 2010

On Thursday 19 Aug 2010 8:23:59 pm Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:32:03PM +0200, Peter Bowers wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Eemeli Aro <eemeli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This has been bothering me as well. Pm, Petko, could you comment?
> >
> > +1
>
> As a general rule I've always allowed people to set up custom
> personal groups on pmwiki.org -- this is just an example of that.
>
> If we need to change that policy, we can discuss it.  One option
> might be to set up a separate wiki to hold personal pages...
> but that involved maintaining a separate wiki.  :-(

Just a thought.
I have been hosting pmwiki modules on free hosting sites for quite sometime
without problem except occasionally some hosting providers stop the free
service.
Since PmWiki has its own VPS is would be great if it provides ftp accounts or
some kind of web-based FTP to developers. The account could be under
sub-domain like <user>.pmwiki.org.
Other option would be pointing DNS record of <user>.pmwiki.org to
requested NS or IP.

Generally allowing personal pages using <user>.pmwiki.org or pmwiki.org/<user>
would be a good idea. I would suggest a sign-up form and some kind of admin
interface that even allows to install/uninstall modules/skins available on
pmwiki and even chose pmwiki version.
Also this feature could possibly generate revenue for pmwiki by placing ads on
these pages. Not limited but there are other commercial possibilities too.

--
Regards.
V.Krishn