[pmwiki-devel] MarkupToHTML help

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Mar 23 18:44:16 CDT 2010

On 24/03/10 10:46 AM, DaveG wrote:

> On 3/23/2010 2:55 PM, DaveG wrote:
>> I'm trying to use MarkupToHTML() to convert some PmWiki markup into HTML
>> -- which is what I think the function does.
>>
>> However, a simple test, in config.php (or my recipe, same result):
>> print (MarkupToHTML($pagename, '[[http://google.com/ | Google]]'));
> Since MarkupToHTML() obviously works, I decided to stop testing, and
> just implement the feature I was working on. Everything now works. The
> problem I suspect is that MarkupToHTML() cannot be called in
> config.php. Not sure why it didn't work within the body of the recipe,
> but I'm guessing it was called to early in the process.
>
> If someone can describe the scenario or points in processing where
> MarkupToHTML() should/not work I'll update the wiki.
As I understand it, MarkupToHTML requires a populated markup table,
which gets built after pmwiki has loaded the standard markup rules. This
happens after it has loaded all local markup rules. So MarkupToHTML can
be called only when a markup rule is evaluated.

Also, you may want to consider something like:

   global $MyMarkupFunction;
   SDV($MyMarkupFunction, 'MarkupToHTML');

   $mydata = $MyMarkupFunction($pagename, 'some text and markup to be
evaluated');

For an example of this usage, see scripts/pagelist.php and the
FPLTemplate function. This enables co-existence with any third party
recipes which modify the MarkupToHTML function.

JR

--
John Rankin
Affinity Limited