[pmwiki-devel] preg_replace /e depreciated in php 5.5

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Jun 7 16:59:27 CDT 2013

Kevin Clevenger writes:
> Is there any timeline or ETA for updating PmWiki to accommodate the
> recent depreciation of preg_replace /e in php 5.5?
>
> Seeing a ton of these since upgrading to php 5.5:
> Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use
> preg_replace_callback instead in /home/common/Sites/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

I have asked Patrick for advice and here is what he said:

   I was out of town much of this last week, but did read the
   mailing list message with concern.  I don't have a short quick
   answer yet.

   First, we shouldn't do anything drastic yet.  I suspect this
   change will break a *lot* of scripts besides PmWiki -- it won't
   surprise me if there's such an outcry about the breakage that
   the PHP developers are forced to leave it in, perhaps enabled
   by an option.

   I also suspect it will be a _long_ time before /e is actually
   removed from PHP (as in, perhaps "never").  So in the short
   term, we can turn off deprecation warnings via the
   error_reporting() call (pmwiki.php:28).  I don't like disabling
   such warnings, as we may miss other future breakages, but
   the alternative in this case is much worse for us.

   As far as PmWiki 3 goes; I agree that if we end up having to
   refactor large parts of the core and ecosystem due to the
   eval deprecation, it's also time to entertain much larger
   changes.  I don't know what my short-term and medium-term
   schedules look like at the moment, though.  Let's watch
   the PHP 5.5 changes for a bit and see where things are going.

   Pm

So, for the moment there is no ETA, but we should probably document what can
be done to hide the warnings.

Petko