[Pmwiki-users] Re: An outline for WikiOutlines with inlined markup?

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Thu Nov 7 12:14:06 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 11:07:00AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> WikiOutline rendering, revisited:
> Upon reflection, there may (keyword: "may") be some reasonable renderings
> if we use abbreviated outlines.  For example, we could do:
>
>   TopOutLinePage
>     FirstLevelPageB
>       SecondLevelPage2
>         PreviousPage
>         CurrentPage
>         NextPage
>
> which omits everything not directly related to CurrentPage by location
> or ancestry.  Or, following a breadcrumb model, some variation of:
>
>   OutlinePage > FirstLevelPageB > SecondLevelPage2 > CurrentPage
>   (Prev: PreviousPage  Next: NextPage)
>
> which gets us down to two lines of mostly inlined text.
>
> Comments?  Further improvements?

I like the breadcrumby version.

For the too-big-to-be-inlined or the non-inlined items, I think there
should be some different markup that must appear at the beginning of the
line. Like John's "T:" for instance. Breadcrumb-like would fall in the
too-big category for me.

> P.S.:  Just a thought:  anyone think that Scott's proposal for
>   WikiOutline might be an approach to handling ThreadMode documents in
>   wiki...?

I do now that you mention it.  :-)

Here are some potential drawbacks:
        * Most threaded discussion is interleaved such that it's better
          to have the thing being replied to in front of you as well as
          the replies. With the outline approach, you'd need to click
          back and forth between two separate pages.
        * We may run into a problem coming up with meaningful page
          names as a thread progresses.

See http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Experimental/ThreadTrail to get a
feel for it.  Granted, some of the context was lost, but see if you
can still follow the discussion.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff