[Pmwiki-users] CVS features was: discussion on line breaks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Aug 12 11:31:06 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:26:10AM -0500, Randall wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> > But if anyone thinks that it is vitally important to go beyond
> > simple authorship tracking to providing full-fledged user accounts
> > with passwords, then now would be a good time to make your wishes
> > known.  :-)
>
> I'm in the process of setting Pmwiki up on one of my web sites and
> would probably use full-fledged user accounts if they were available.
> However, with the ability to password-protect groups of pages, this
> isn't anything close to a necessity for me.

The two systems would likely be orthogonal to each other--I'm not planning
to add access control lists (i.e., access to pages based on authenticated
user id) anytime in the near future.  Thus, user accounts would simply
be used for identification, and possibly to allow per-user customization
settings, but not for access control to pages or other operations.

> > And, of course, tracking authorship will be an optional feature, so
> > that those sites who don't want to deal with it aren't required to
> > do so.
>
> It would be especially nice if this feature could be used (or not
> used) on a group by group basis.

Absolutely, almost all PmWiki options are done this way.  It's generally
easier for me to make them per-group or per-page customizable than it
is to force them to be global.  :-)