[Pmwiki-users] Group and/on Paging "Cloaking"

John Feezell johnfeezell
Sun Jul 27 01:59:26 CDT 2003

Anyone have a interest in discussing in the possibility of "cloaking"
groups or pages in PmWiki?

I have used this idea before in other programs and found it very useful in
the development phase of setting up new content or when I wanted to "pull"
something offline.  But, perhaps with PmWiki the code changes required to
achieve "cloaking" would exceed the benefits.

The general idea could parallel the way passwords act.  The basic concept
is something like the following.

Using the local.php or Group.php file, GroupAttributes?action=attr, or
PageName?action=attr a flag would be set to indicate that "cloaking" was in
effect for a group or page.  For example, in action=attr add an option so
that it would be --

Set new read password:
Set new edit password:
Set new attribute password:
Set new upload password: Set new clocking action: cloak

With the possibility of turning "cloaking" off at either the group or page
levels using action=attr in a form like:

Set new read password:
Set new edit password:
Set new attribute password:
Set new upload password: Set new clocking action: nocloak

With "cloaking" on, PmWiki would suppress from all listings, i.e.,
Main/AllRecentChanges, etc., the group or page names that have the
"cloaking" flag set.  But, references to "uncloaked" pages would work as
before, i.e, [[include:CloakedGroup/UnCloakedPage]] would include the
uncloaked page from the cloaked group and list its contents but the
CloakedGroup would not show in any listing to the user.

Any thoughts about how much PmWiki code would need to be modified to
achieve it?  How difficulty would it be?  I'd appreciate any thoughts or
comments on the subject.

/JF