[Pmwiki-users] Problem with %define= ... %

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Dec 2 15:34:35 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 11:21:05AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> >Then someone would do
> >
> >    (:css .box { border:1px solid black; } :)
> >
> >    %box% This text is in a box.
> >

> Yes! And one might go slightly further and accept
>
>     (:css box { border:1px solid black; } :)

Well, I'm thinking ahead to the day when we might want to support
more than css class definitions; e.g., to style the <dfn> tag:

   (:css dfn { font-style:normal; } :)

So, we'd need to have something to distinguish CSS selectors, and
I vote to use the CSS selector syntax.  :-)  The reason I'm not
coming straight and and supporting arbitrary css selectors just
yet is similar to the reasons for not allowing arbitrary html:

   (:css body { display:none; } :)

> What happens if an author writes:
>     (:css #box { border:1px solid black; } :)
>
> and uses 2 %box% entries on the same page? Or does PmWiki support
> . only, using anchors to mark specific places on a page?

WikiStyles only use class selectors and not id selectors, and as yet
anchors only mark a position on a page.  And for the reason cited
above I'm not quite ready to support CSS properties on element ids
either (although it's certainly doable as a local modification).