[Pmwiki-users] more thoughts on .htaccess

Joachim Durchholz jo
Tue Dec 7 13:12:27 CST 2004

Neil Herber wrote:
> I suggest that .htaccess be removed from the default install and that
> the page PmWiki/Security have an entry added that describes how to
> install and activate it on Apache or other servers that use .htaccess.
> (I think both Sambar and Xitami use .htaccess). I am more than willing
> to contribute such a page, but I would want someone like Jo Durchholz to
> check the Apache descriptions.

Can do, willing to do :-)

I don't think I agree that .htaccess should be removed. Leaving them in
would make the installation easier for those who do have a working
Apache, and even for those who don't use .htaccess it would be a
configuration to copy over.

I'd consider it more important if PmWiki did the appropriate checking
during install (or, even better, later on). E.g. it could start a read
from one of its own URLs and check whether everything can be read that
should be readable, and that those directories that take data from users
aren't readable.

Regards,
Jo