[Pmwiki-users] password admin for uploads

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Dec 10 14:47:49 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 04:34:18PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> The new PasswordsAdmin page is great. It answers all of the questions I had
> as an admin.
>
> However, I think the Passwords page is still too detailed for users. I
> would be inclined to only discuss read and edit passwords for individual
> pages. I have appended a suggested rewrite to:
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki?p=PmWiki.Passwords

The rewrite looks good--I like it.  Unfortunately, I know a lot of
situations where authors need to be able to create and control their own
groups without having to go through an administrator.  (Indeed, this is
why I created WikiGroups -- I needed my users to be able to
create+control their own group namespaces without needing to bug me
to do it for them!)

So, perhaps what we should do is break this page down into sections --
start with the basics of password protecting an individual page,
then with password protecting a wiki group, and finally talk about
upload and attribute passwords and give pointers to PasswordsAdmin.

Also, note that as things currently stand, giving a page an edit password
but no attribute password means that anyone can change the edit password.
Arguably this should change somehow but that's the way it is now (and has
been from the beginning).  Perhaps an empty attribute password should
therefore default to the edit|upload|read password if one of those are set.