[Pmwiki-users] Could the PmWiki1 documents remain online?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Dec 13 13:21:57 CST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 08:12:58PM +0100, Spam Account Speedxs wrote:
> I know it's nice to see how the Beta's of PmWiki are doing well.
> Usually, during this stage, i would find it a bit too early to change
> online documentation to the current 2.0 Beta.
> [...]
> One of the suggestions i would like to post is if the documentation
> could be indexed under it's proper version number (this will also clear
> up linking problems in the future):
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiV1/DocumentationIndex
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiV2/DocumentationIndex
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiVx/DocumentationIndex

Well, I should note that I don't have any plans for a V3, V4,
etc.  This isn't to say it won't happen, but since it took three
years to get to a V2 I'd expect it to be another 2-3 years before
we see a V3.  :-)  Thus, I'd rather just keep things under the
'PmWiki' group -- it's much easier to support that way.

Each distribution comes with its own copy of the documentation, so
each installation has the version-appropriate copy of the docs
available locally as well, which is why I didn't fret too much
about having the pmwiki.org docs change.  Plus, I'm strongly
recommending that new sites begin with the 2.0 distribution (even
though its "beta"), and since new sites are the ones who tend to
need documentation the most it's better for me if the standard
pmwiki.org site has those docs by default.

However, I can understand that there might be reasons for wanting
the V1 documentation to be hosted online somewhere; right now the
entire V1 wiki site is available at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki-v1, but
I wouldn't expect that to permanently exist.  I think I could probably
arrange for the V1 documentation to have a permanent home at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiV1 .