[Pmwiki-users] Markup: pm[[wiki]] is not a link like [[pm]]wiki

Stephan Schildberg schildberg
Mon Dec 13 15:15:07 CST 2004

Building a plural in English is different from other languages. Its more
easy regarding the creation of a plural.

1. the more easy ones
Auto, Autos - (cars) German with Latin origins
Fenster, Fenster - (windows), very often children or foreigners build a
"false" plural, with Fenster*s*, but German is not that logic!
Schuh, Schuhe - shoe, shoes

Ok, so far this is almost solved with [[something]]s

Now, it happens very often we have words build like this, awful for
Non-Germans:
Rand, R?nder - border, borders, which is a reason German and similar
languages are not as good supported as English, you lucky.
PmWiki can nothing do about cases happen inside these strings; I accept it..

2. This issue is the one I am talking about:
Building terms in English syntax is mostly word1 + SPACE + word2
Languages with Latin origin are more alike.

Doing this in German it looked like word1  + word2 + word3 + wordX.
German syntax  is famous for its long glued words, they think in this
way. Reading those weird words is not always easy  for them, but they
can invent instantly new long words. Very famous (for Germans and
Austrians who tend to longer words) is*
Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschafts*kapit?nsm?tze, which is not not a
beauty of poetry, but its a word. This word consists of 6 terms (1 terms
is already combined of two)  *Donau dampf schiffahrts gesellschafts
*kapit?ns m?tze (captains hat of the Donau-Steam-Boat-Corporation).

In that case your text often refers to Schiffahrtsgesellschaft
(Boot-Corporation) and you point to an example which is in the class of
Schiffahrtsgesellschaft (Boat-Corporation) , but a particular case:
*Dampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft  *(Steam-Boat-Corporation), you would of
course link to Steam-[[Boat-Corporation]], but the result
typographically is not consistent.

Our language is mined with that way of building words.

I am by far not able to help you in any way, maybe someone who is in the
same position than me can give assistance. This is one reason to
contribute to the German doc, to enable more people to dive into the
prettiness of PmWiki in their own tongue, because we need a lot of
slightly different ways of speech, which mean slightly different point
of views, to get together an idea of the entire world. Sorry if I was a
bit off-topic in your opinion.

Stephan.