[Pmwiki-users] Cannot acquire lockfile - curiosity

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Dec 23 23:11:37 CST 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 01:09:56PM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
> I'm getting an error that PmWiki cannot acquire the lockfile.  I know
> how to fix it, but this is more a curiosity than a question.
> I first installed the newest beta yesterday.  Initially I could not run
> it because the proper permissions were not set.  So I CHMOD'd my
> public_html to 0755 (or whatever the instructions said), then ran
> pmwiki.  It worked.  Then I reset the permissions back to 755.
> A day later, I try to access the website, and I get the file lock error.
>
> I'm just curious what could cause that.  It was working just peachy
> yesterday.  And today it's not.

Sometimes your server administrators will turn "safe_mode" on without
letting you know.

Some webhosts will periodically run a script that automatically changes
the ownership of any files in your home directory to be owned by your
account.

Either of these could be the explanation for the lockfile error, and
there could be others.  My suggestion is to create wiki.d/ manually
and give it 777 permissions and you shouldn't ever see the error again.