[Pmwiki-users] Re: setup script, sample-local.php, local/, and a slippery slope

Christian Ridderström chr
Thu Feb 12 13:12:50 CST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting it in local/ though... AFAIK,
> > updating pmwiki is supposed to *not* write into that directory?
>
> to which Scott Duff responded:
> > Currently two files get written into that directory if you follow the
> > instructions given at http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/PmWikiUpgrades
> > These files are README.local and .htaccess  I don't see what harm it
> > would do to add sample-local.php to that list.
>
> and I initially agreed with Scott on this point.  But now I fear
> we may be at the edge of a slippery slope, because while brainstorming
> ideas for the installation/setup script it occurs to me that it'd be
> really nice if the setup script could generate an initial "setup-local.php"
> script that has correct settings for $ScriptUrl, $PubDirUrl,
> $EnablePathInfo, initializing $pagename, etc.  An admin could then
> just copy setup-local.php to local.php and have everything appropriately
> set.

I don't want apache to be allowed to write to local/. Couldn't we put the
generated file in a dedicated directoy (to which apache may write).

> But that means we would now have four files being placed in local/:
>    .htaccess
>    README.local
>    sample-local.php
>    setup-local.php

Actually, I don't see why the README.local file isn't in the
pmwiki-directory (and is called simply README). Then it'd make sense to
put a little bit more information in it as well, such as the purpose of
wiki.d/ and wikilib.d/ -- things that would be good for an admin to know
when fiddling with stuff here. Oh, and most importantly, contain an URI
for a suitable page on pmichaud.com.

> I think it's important that the setup script not modify local.php
> directly, to avoid the potential for customizations being overwritten/lost.

Definitely.

> Another option: instead of creating a separate setup-local.php file, the
> setup script could simply generate sample-local.php with the appropriate
> configuration settings *and* suggestions for other customizations in it.

I don't understand the difference (except that the name is different)?

/Christian